Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Where did she go?

Earlier this evening the whole family went on a walk. Fall is here...we all had to go get our jackets on before we left the house and surprisingly, no one was wearing flip flops. I was watching my six year old daughter hop, skip and jump her way down the sidewalk...for a few moments I was utterly captivated by her complete innocence. Happiness radiated from her and it struck me that for now she is free of all the "stuff" that bogs the rest of us down. At that moment, she was consumed by the joy of being outside and the pleasure of having her mommy, daddy and bubby all together. The sound of her laughter touched my heart.

After our walk and after dinner I started feeling a bit reminiscent and started looking through old photos. This little dark eyed, curly headed girl is me. I imagine I was around two years old when this picture was taken but there is no way of knowing for sure. I look at this photo and I realize that at one time I had that complete innocence of a child as well--I was utterly happy and content.

It hit me. My Joy is going to go through the trials of life. She will get beat up and beat down at times, but hopefully, will come out fighting. But for now...for now...she's my little girl. I still get to protect, nourish, guide, discipline, and teach her to become a strong woman. A woman that will learn to dance in the rain and make lemonade when life gives her lemons.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm already one of your followers...

    Awww! How adorable! I love pulling out my baby pictures and taking trips down memory lane. We need to cherish every moment with our little ones they grow so fast! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. MBC-

    You brought up feelings I get about my girls all of the time...and their only 1 & 2 years old. I worry so much about their innocence and how one day they will be met with reality and have to deal with things that adults deal with. I soo wish I could keep them little forever (for them and me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post!
    I have to agree with you. I sometimes look at my children and think the same thing. If only we could all feel happy all of the time and free of worry and stress.
    Cute photo by the way!

    I'm so glad you were able to find something at CSN as well. I hope you like what you get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look at my son sometimes and get a little sad, knowing that he will have tough times ahead, like all of us. I can't protect him forever!!! And I hate that.

    Btw, that picture of you as a kid is so cute! Love the curls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow your a cutie... time flies so fast...I love your curls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ronnie. I came over from MBC to follow you and I too need that speed bump. Sometime the words just jump out even before I can think about them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails